top of page

Frequently asked questions about planning permission, building regulations and more

FAQ's: Welcome

Our services are available to residential and commercial clients in Bedfordshire and surrounding areas

The following is just a selection of some of the questions that we get asked here at RM Architectural Consultants Ltd. If you have a question that is not displayed below then please follow the links to the Communities websites below for more information.

Q. I've decided to alter/extend/convert my property. What do I do now?

A. It depends on what you want to do. You may need Local Authority planning permission or building regulations approval or both. If you do then the Council are likely to require a set of drawing plans and specifications to be submitted with the application.

Q. Do I need planning permission?

A. There is a good chance that you will require planning permission. It's a risky business to try and determine if permission is required in a simple question and answer exercise. The link below gives more detail but nothing beats asking the planning section and getting a written reply.

Q. Do I need to make a building regulation application?

A. Probably. The main exemptions are small brick/block detached garages, porches and conservatories. Even then, each has requirements in order to be exempt. Most other alterations, extensions, etc. require permission. Again, there is a link below which explains in greater detail.

Q. Can RM Architectural Consultants Ltd. help?

A. Yes. If permission is required then we will act on your behalf by surveying and preparing all the necessary drawing plans and specifications to satisfy the Local Authority requirements. We will undertake all of the consultations and paperwork through to decision.

Q. How much do you charge?

A. It's a bit difficult to say, as each job is different. We will however, visit your property free of charge and give you a fixed, no obligation, quote. We do not generally work on an hourly charge so you will always know where you stand. If additional costs are unavoidable then we will notify you well in advance.

Q. Can I expect any 'up-front' charges?

A. No. We will send, or hand, you an invoice only after we have done the relevant part of the works for which we were employed to do.

Q. Do I get anything in writing?

A. Yes. We do everything in writing because then we all know where we stand. Soon after our initial visit, we will send you a letter of engagement that sets out the obligations on both sides. It also states what you get for your money and the costs involved. If you agree to, sign and return the form then we will start working on your proposal.

Q. If I need some steel beams, can you calculate the sizes?

A. Indirectly, yes. Our structural engineer can provide all necessary calculations to satisfy the building control section. You are however, perfectly entitled to employ your own structural engineer if you would prefer.


Both links below need Adobe Acrobat, please download first, if required.

Planning Permission
Building Regulations

FAQ's: Text

If you require advice on gaining planning permission for an upcoming residential or commercial project, call RM Architectural Consultants Ltd today on 01525 217904 or 07974 133872. Based near Leighton Buzzard,
we cover all surrounding areas.

FAQ's: Text
bottom of page